All News

Gardner Tops the Timesheets

Jason Gardner and Mike Trode topped the podium on their home event in very demanding and tricky conditions on the Winner Garage Skoda Wyedean Rally.

It didn’t all go his way as he admitted to struggling with the wrong tyres on the first three stages and he also had a stall when a car pulled out in front of him on a road section and needed a push from nearby spectators.

Eventually he finished a magnificent 7th overall in the main rally, took the West Wales Rally Spares HRCR win and the category three win.

With championships in mind Mike Simpson and Dale Gibbons plus Andrew Stokes with Guy Weaver on board they had a titanic battle which all switched on the Speech House stage. On the first stage in the morning Andrew Stokes would be 35 seconds ahead of his rival adapting to the conditions a lot better.

In the afternoon the second run Mike would top the charts taking back 25 seconds before moving ahead on stage 4 and stretching his advantage even further.

Pete Littler and Andy Marchbank had a horrible first stage, which they didn’t realise at the time was down to a puncture that caused the car to push on at corners creating many interesting moments including when they climbed a bank putting the steering out.

They managed to struggle through to service with the wheel at 10 to 2, all was fixed in the three-quarters of an hour they had. On the first of the re-run stages they had to stop at the scene of an accident and were given a notional time. But, despite all their problems they battled through to 16th overall and some much-needed seat time.

Ron Morgan struggled with the conditions and the pinto powered Ford Escort really struggled with the mud and getting the power down.

He battled through but would lose anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute on each stage to the more powerful cars.

It had taken Julian Burch 5-years to get his Ford Escort Mk 1 out on the stages and despite the lack of grip he was having a ball.

After overtaking a few cars, he would also find himself the first car on the road in the afternoon loop of stages.

He remarked how easy it was to drive compared to his Lotus Talbot Sunbeam and ably assisted by Glyn Thomas he would finish in 26th place.

In the battle of the Minis Eric Davis and Russell Joseph had one of their best runs of the season. Another crew rallying in their back-yard they took full advantage reported no major problems as they finished some 50 seconds quicker than Andrew O’Hanlon and Kevin Hogan.

The midlands pairing loved the stages but admitted there were one or two large holes they were concerned about hitting so not only had to avoid these but make sure they stayed on the road.

For Lee Sellars and Michell O’Connor getting to the finish was the important part of the day, held up on stage one and needing spectators to push them off a bank on stage 5 they managed to achieve their main objective and score valuable points for the championship

Andrew Jarman and Adrian Lloyd were the only retirement when their day came to a premature end on stage 2 where the car came to a halt and they could not get it restarted.

Wyedean Rally WWRS Results.


7th Jason Gardner Mike Jode Ford Escort Mk 2 00:49:20
10th Mike Simpson Dale Gibbons Ford RS 2000 00:50:21
11th Andrew Stokes Guy Weaver Ford Escort Mk1 00:50:46
16th Pete Littler Andy Middlebank Ford Escort Mk 2 00:52:22
22nd Ron Morgan Marc Clatworthy Ford Escort Mk 2 00:53:57
26th Julian Burch Glyn Thomas Ford Escort Mk 1 00:54:16
32nd Eric Davis Russell Joseph Mini Clubman 00:55:42
36th Andrew O’Hanlon Kevin Hogan Mini 00:56:42
45th Bob Gibbons Jon Harris Ford Cortina Gt 00:59:24
48th Ken Davies Alan Jones Volvo Amazon 01:00:06
49th Bill Douglas Dave Barrett Volvo 01:00:08
58th Lee Sellars Michele O’Connor Triumph 2500 Pi 01:05:20
RTD Andy Jarman Adrian Lloyd Mini Stage 2